Wednesday, April 22, 2009

5 Months!!

One year ago today we got the first view of our little peanut. It was so amazing to see that there was actually a tiny human growing in my belly. I had gotten the BFP (big fat postive) preggo test but to actually see what would grow to be Joshua was incredible. Hard to believe what a difference a year makes.

Here he is today! Tomorrow he will be 5 months old. This past Saturday we had him named at the synagogue. It was wonderful! We had 10 people there including us. Joshua's cousin Nicole and friends of the family Robin & Steve finally got to meet him. It was a beautiful service. Baby namings are normally done on Friday nights but since everyone would be traveling 2-4 hours to be there it seemed that Saturday would be better. I'm so glad we did it on Saturday because the Rabbi plays the guitar and it is also a smaller crowd so it made it feel more personal. Everyone said they enjoyed the service and that the Rabbi was very warm and welcoming. I take this as high praise as for most of them it was their first time at a synagogue. My mom was here last week and it was nice to spend time with her and for her to spend time with Joshua. It's the first time she's gotten to do that for more than a day since he was born.

I'm guessing my big boy weighs about 15lbs and is 26 inches long. He is still wearing 3-6 month clothes but I can tell he won't be for much longer as his sleepers are getting tight length wise anyway. He is definately not a chunky monkey. Most of his clothes still have plenty of room in them width wise. I'm sad to say he'll be moving out of the swaddlers soon. He wore newborn diapers for 2 months and then size 1 for about a month and now he's going to be moving into size 3. Swaddlers only go up to size 2-3 so we're going to have to move up to baby dry or cruisers. I bought a small pack of cruisers to see if we like them. They have the same mesh as the swaddlers so I figured they would be similar. Plus it says on the box of swaddlers that cruisers are the next stage.

For the past 2 weeks he has been sleeping 10-12 hours at night in his crib!! He is also now sleeping on his belly. One night after I put him to bed on his back I went back in and he had rolled onto his tummy and was still asleep. Now that's what he does most nights. He is able to roll from his belly to his back now so I'm trying not to worry. His new bedtime (which he set himself, by the way) is between 7 & 8pm. He will sleep until at least 4 am but most mornings it's 6am before he wakes up again. Whenever he wakes up Jamie brings him into our bed until he has to get up for work and we all go back to sleep for a while. He usually wakes up to eat around 7 so I feed & change him and then we go back to sleep until about 9.

While my mom was here she helped me make babyfood for Joshua. We made plums & sweet potatoes. It wasn't easy but I'm glad that I did it. I'm not sure how much I'll do in the future as it's pretty time consuming and Joshua has been pretty fussy lately but I'm glad I got to do some. Like how I feel a sense of accomplishment for breastfeeding, I feel the same way about making babyfood for him. Yes, we've made it 5 months exclusively breastfeeding! I'm so proud that I have been able to do this for him! I think I may be feeding him rice cereal before he's 6 months but not for another 2-3 weeks. His pediatrician wants us to start before his 6 month appointment so I think I'll try in 2-3 weeks.

No comments: